Monday, July 6, 2009

Mompreneur or bust

This having a germ of an idea to turn into something interesting and profitable stuff …well, it’s hard. I read the incredible success stories of women like Sandra Wilson (Robeez) and I get excited that my mompreneur friend Leslie (http://www.pixiepieces.com/) might meet with some of that same success. Or I see a documentary about the most successful woman entrepreneurs of our time and wish for women like my mompreneur neighbour Rima (http://www.undinejewellry.com/) to get her moment on Oprah for be-jewelling Hollywood’s next mini-celebs.

It seems I’m surrounded by success stories of women who’ve managed to balance family and a great idea. They all inspire me in a woman to woman way, but I worry maybe I’m lacking the gene that would bridge my desire to be like them to actually being one of them.

Despite my worries, I’ve been doing a steady inventory of my talents and skills in hopes of finding that germy idea of worth. First I thought maybe I could offer marketing consulting services…but I just don’t have enough energy at the end of the day to do that properly (that’s not to say I couldn’t still do it, but I couldn’t do it easily). Marketing has to be done well or there’s really no point.

So, I thought about my other big job – mom. What business or service would make a difference for me? Well, I spend a heck of a lot of time obsessing about food with my kids. All three of them are what you could call “picky eaters” and I’ve spent a zillion hours trying and tossing food ideas. I keep thinking that if I could just give them a buffet of choices all at once, maybe I’d have a better idea of where to focus my cuisine. That and, maybe if I’d just figured this out while they were toddlers, I wouldn’t be in such a mealtime battle.

And so “Tastings for Toddlers” became my mompreneur idea. I would invite a group of moms to come with tiny tots for a mid-morning snack-time tasting. Moms would have sparkly drinks in fancy plastic glasses and the tots would get to peruse a buffet of choices.

I polled everyone I knew for buffet and serving suggestions based on their own experience. I heard all about the children who are grief-stricken at the sight of anything larger than the smallest sample at the grocery store. I also heard about consistency, colour, shape and “what is that?” issues from one child to another. My enthusiasm was unwavering. This was an idea I could sink my teeth into (pun intended – corny I know).

It was when I put myself in the customer’s shoes that I began to see some issues with my grand mompreneur wannabe plan.
First concern – I didn’t think that if I did it out of my home moms (other than my supportive friends) would want to come and pay to participate.
Second concern- finding a location that wouldn’t want a large portion of the profits and would be willing to accommodate the food issues is tricky.
Third concern – food and health safety vs. insurance is a bit of a slippery slope

If I figure out solutions for each of my concerns, maybe you’ll see me on Oprah. In the meantime, this mompreneur wannabe has some serious research to do over the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment